Five years seems like it should sweep in with some sort of fanfare, but it feels like just another day. I mentioned before that I’m on a journey to reclaim January by making a concerted effort not to let this month defeat me. For the past four Januaries, I’ve slumped into a pity party, and I’m trying hard not to do that again this year.
Still, I do feel reminiscent during this month, especially leading up to today. I miss my brother like crazy, each and every day.
There are plenty of things that make me feel sad, but if I concentrate, there are even more things that make me feel happy … and better than happy, but also joyful and certainly grateful:
- I got to know him for 30 years plus a few months, and we became good friends.
- We were baptized on the same day, and I remember it fondly.
- I will get to see him again some day and never ever have to say goodbye. Hallelujah!
- I get to see his smirk,
- his demeanor,
- his mannerisms,
- his smart*ss attitude (LOL), and
- his facial expressions in his sons every day.
- I had my personal IT support hotline for years! 🙂
- I got to meet the love of his life, and I’m doubly blessed that we remain “sisters-in-love” all these years later.
- I got to receive more bear hugs than I can count.
- I always knew that he had my back, even when we disagreed.
3 thoughts on “5 years”
I love you, friend. You’re so strong and I’m glad you’re reclaiming January, but don’t forget to let yourself have a few “weak” moments.
Thank you, sweet friend. I have plenty of weak moments (like in the car on the way to work this morning when Mandisa’s song “Overcomer” played on the radio), but I’m trying not to let the weak moments cripple me as much as they have in years past. I appreciate you.
Just lovely. I especially love the note about getting to see all that was him in his sons. You honor him through raising those boys. Big HUGS and love to you all today.